Jason Scull grew up in a family that farmed and ranched on the fringes of the South Texas brush country. His people were early settlers in Texas who arrived in the mid 1820’s and ranched, raised families, fought wars and carved a place in the American West.
Scull's life with cattle and horses coupled with his respect for the culture of the American West have shaped and continue to inspire the direction of his art. He studied Animal Science at Texas A&M and returned to the family ranch where he remained involved in the operation until 2010. His study of sculpture began in 1987 through the Cowboy Artists of America Museum workshop program. In addition, his education has come in the form of personal study with established artists, most notably Jack Swanson, Mehl Lawson, and Cynthia Rigden.
His sculpture can be found in private, museum, and corporate collections throughout the United States, Canada and England. He has completed several life-size and larger sculptures including an equestrian sculpture of early Texas Ranger John C. “Jack” Hays located on the Hays County Courthouse lawn in San Marcos, Texas; an equine group of three running horses and a colt for Gaylord Hotels, the Gaylord Texan, Grapevine, Texas; a seven foot figure for Commercial Metals Company, Seguin, Texas, Caycee, South Carolina, and Mesa, Arizona. Currently, Jason is completing a life-size mounted Spanish Colonial Vaquero and Longhorn cow and calf for the City of McAllen that will be sited at the McAllen Convention Center.
He was elected into membership in the Cowboy Artists of America in 2011. Jason and his wife Dianne make their home near Kerrville, Texas, an area rich in the history of the Comanche, Texas Rangers, and early trail drivers.